Depuis sa création en 1994, 77 000 visiteurs sont
venus découvrir le Mémorial. De nombreuses
associations et amicales d'anciens combattants
(de la première Armée Française en particulier),
des scolaires (environ 6000 écoliers venus de la
France entière), de très nombreux vétérans de
toutes nationalités confondues, et des particuliers.
The museum is also regularly visited by both the
civilian and military authorities from around the
area : governors, representatives, senators,
mayors, commanding officers from the 152nd
infantry regiment (Colmar), from air force base
132 (now closed) and 901, commanding officers
from the Haut-Rhin Gendarmerie (i.e. MP).
Since its opening in 1994 some 77,000 visitors
have come to discover the museum : among them many veterans associations (especially from the French 1rst Army), schools (about 6000 from all over France), many veterans from various countries and individuals.
You will find below the names of some noteworthy visitors who honored the museum with their presence:
- Mr Vincent CARVER, US consul
- Lieutenant General Georges PORMENTE.
- Lieutenant General Michel ROQUEJOFFRE (air force).
- Brigadier General Emile THIERRY, former pilot from the 2/5 Lafayette squadron.
- Brigadier General Lionel LENFANT, in charge of the historical patrimony department of the army.
- Mr F. DE VERNEJOUL, son to General DE VERNEJOUL, a commanding officer from the French 5th AD.
- Mrs Magali MAGNAN, daughter to general MAGNAN, a commanding officer from the 9th colonial ID.
- Mrs Catherine LESCUYER DE SAVIGNIES,daughter to general FAURE, commanding officer 1st French PIR.
- Mrs Ghislaine SCHLESSER-SANZEY, daughter to general SCHLESSER, commanding officer of the 5th AD.
- Mrs HEINRICH wife to lieutenant-colonel Paul HEINRICH aka BEAUMONT, HQ from 1st French PIR.
- Colonel Robert NICAISE, former member from heavy bomber command.
- Mr Pierre CLOSTERMANN, "first French ace", 'Liberation Companion' .
- Mr Jean-Baptiste TERNI, former member of the Moroccan colonial infantry regiment, 9th colonial ID.
- Mr Pierre LORILLON, former pilot and ace from Normandie-Niemen squadron.
- Mr Claude PINOTEAU,film director and former member of the French 1st PIR.
- Mr Roger GUILLAUME, former fighter pilot from 2/5 Lafayette squadron.
- Mr Julius MEIMBERG, former fighter pilot from German 53rd squadron.
- Mr John SHIRLEY, former member of the 3rd infantry division, US Army.
- Mr Henri WENISCH, former mechanic to major MARIN LA MESLEE.
- Mr Derek Leyland STEVENSON, former pilot from the Royal Air Force.
- Mr Julian MITCHELL,former member of the 3rd infantry division, US Army.
- Mr Byron LEMMON, former member of the 3rd infantry division, US Army...
- Mr Jean BARBUTI, sculptor and former member of French foreign legion 1st cavalry regiment, 5th French AD
- Mr Charles DEUVE, crew member from tank MISTRAL II from French 1st armoured regiment, 5th AD.
Whoever you may be and wherever you may come from, we would be pleased to welcome you and hope to answer to you questions and expectations about this ill-known period of our national and local history